Hot wings are awesome! They are crispy little bites of spicy deliciousness from a chicken! Need I say more? I guess so. One thing I do know is that I am not a fan of soggy wings. They need to have a perfected crisp and tear to them. I don’t know why but I always think of a cartoon when I eat food like chicken wings. Its delightful to know that they are handheld, delicious, and fun to eat for the entire family.
The focus of our wings comes from three different angles. One – That they are actually crispy! And no you do not need to deep fry them, which leads to number Two – They are oven baked! Oven baked means you can turn something that is horribly unhealthy into something that can satisfy an entire family without the worry of it being completely terrible for you. And Three – They are actually buffalo flavored and spicy! Granted, you can make your own ‘wings’ with honey BBQ sauce, teriyaki, lemon pepper, or even smoked, but in the end those are just wings… NOT buffalo hot wings.
The crispier the better! Do not pull them out short! Keep them baking in the oven.
This is a very simple recipe that can be put on repeat as the wings are consumed. If you are feeding a small army, pair this with a carb such as mac and cheese, along with a veggie such as a salad, and just keep putting a new round of trays in the oven till everyone is happy.
They work great as an appetizer, a snack, a full meal, or even eat them cold, when you wake up in the middle of the night and for some reason desire more heartburn! As always, we want you to take this recipe, make it your own, and bring your family back to the table! We file this recipe under pub night!
[recipe title=”Extra Crispy Oven Baked Buffalo Hot Wings” servings=”4″ time=”90mins” difficulty=”Easy”]
Wings come with the connotation that they are unhealthy because they are deep fried and carry no nutritional value! WRONG – These wings pack a punch of bold spices, healthy protein, and can be paired with any and all vegetables!
3 pounds of chicken wings, separated into flats and drumettes
Wings Dry Rub
2 tsp aluminum free baking powder*
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt, fine
1 tsp smoked paprika**
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp dried cayenne
cracked pepper to taste
1/3 cup Frank’s® RedHot® Xtra Hot Sauce***
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tbsp sugar
- Separate the chicken by cutting along the join of the wing to get both the flat and the drumette. Lay the wings on a spread of paper towels and dab them dry to absorb as much moisture as possible! The less moisture there is, the crispier the wing!
- Preheat your oven to 425F degrees, and cover two baking sheets with foil and insert oven safe baking racks on top.
- Combine all dry ingredients and spices together in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place your dried out wings into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle half the seasoning onto the wings. Toss the wings in the dry rub. Sprinkle the remaining dry rub on the wings and toss a second time.
- Place the wings on the oven safe baking racks so that they are not touching. The more space the better as it allows them to obtain a crispier exterior. Bake wings for 60 minutes at 425F degrees, flipping the wings half way through and alternating the trays from top to bottom. Feel free to bake longer or flip more often. Most important note is for the chicken to be baked to 165F degrees internal temperature.
- During the last 15 minutes while the wings are baking, melt your butter. Combine melted butter with buffalo hot sauce, and sugar. Once you remove the wings from the oven, brush the buffalo sauce on the wings. Flip wings and brush again.
- Switch your oven to – broil High – and broil one pan at a time for 3 minutes to finish off the wings and to reach the supreme crispiness that is desired! Toss wings in buffalo sauce again if you so desire and devour!
*Make sure you use aluminum free baking powder, otherwise you will obtain a metallic taste
**We prefer smoked paprika in our house, however sweet paprika, or just original will never let you down! Just make it your own.
***We love Frank’s® to create our buffalo sauce. If its too hot, try their original or buffalo flavor. Try other hot sauces that you enjoy and truly make it your own. We will also just eat the wings with the dry rub or brush on some of our favorite BBQ sauce from Sweet Baby Ray’s® because we have small kids and they do not tolerate spicy!!
We are making these tonight!! We shall see if they come out as good as your picture!!
I’m so excited to read this! How did you like them?!
Yesss! I will SO be making these!!
We hope you absolutely love them as much as we do and that they bring your family back to the table!! Please let us know how they turn out and if you made any variations!
Nom nom nom!
Nom nom nom is right! Hope you enjoy making these wings!